I've always understood that much of the voting public are loopy space cadets who don't know what is going on and vote with their gut. The public is constantly polled on their candidate preference and opinions on matters of public debate. But when they are asked factual questions, an astounding proportion lack basic civic knowledge. Thirty percent or more cannot name the Vice President! Holy shit!
Stupidity is found all over the political spectrum. Religious conservatives, of course, are skeptical of global warming, evolution, and the history of the universe as it conflicts with biblical history. Secular liberals have their own religion of sorts that distrusts anything they can classify as unnatural, such as genetically modified foods, nuclear power, and even vaccines.These goons vote stupidly.
A big segment of the population has been especially vulnerable since the postwar industrial bubble burst and good-paying, low-skill jobs disappeared. Does their stupidity plus insecurity plus sense of entitlement fuel Trump's popularity? I don't know. It seems like a good guess. Was there something that could have been done to keep these people happy? I don't know how society can make low-skill, good-paying jobs abundant again. And I don't know that thinking about it that way is useful. I need to think about this some more.
No comments:
Post a Comment