One is Jamie Raines who is cute, funny, and articulate. The story of his girlfriend's finally successful quest for her family's acceptance of their relationship is heartwarming. Another is Skylar Kergil, who has made a name for himself raising awareness of trans people. His memoirs, Before I Had the Words, document the experience of feeling truly male despite being born with a female body and the journey through his transition.
Transgender people move me because they live off script and have to cross more bridges than most people. Their journey of self-discovery, transformation, finding community, fighting for their rights, and celebrating their identify is a spiritual path. I understand my bias in favor of these young and cute trans personalities, when I know that true transgender acceptance has to embrace everyone--including ugly, awkward, and fat. And I appreciate and support the fight for transgender rights and acceptance because they are on the front lines. The LG and B can feel more secure if the T has rights.

No comments:
Post a Comment