Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Edward Scissorhands

In a 1990 movie, are depictions of mid-century neighborhood and interior design a mockery? I remember being in a kitchen in the late 1980s that still had the 60s design. It looked awfully out of date then. Now the mid-century stuff is appreciated again. I don't understand the cycles of style. If something is aesthetically good, wouldn't it be timeless? Perhaps some elements of mid-century design have overcome the ebb and flow of fashionability to achieve a more timeless respect. 

In what time period is Edward Scissorhands set? The houses, inside and out, are mid-century. But I spotted a few late-70s Fords. A cassette player appears, as do other late 20th century electronics. The mid-centuryism is the film's dominant style and it is beautiful. Mockery or not, I enjoy seeing the mid-century imagery in a 2017 rewatch.

What the hell is the title character? Is he an allegory for a psychologically damaged refugee? Maybe there is no metaphor there. It doesn't matter. To me, the character is brilliantly imagined: A man with scissors for hands, but not horror movie style. A timid and sensitive being who is nothing like us or everything like us.

I adore the flavor of Tim Burton's films. And Vincent Price made me happy in his perfectly suited minor role.

No comments:

Post a Comment