SPOILER BELOW
I very randomly watched this 1987 John Hughes teen drama again and it wasn't stupid like I worried it might seem now that I am an adult. Some Kind of Wonderful is a solid story and is decently acted. And now that the 1980s are so far behind us, it feels like a period drama.
I worried I might experience painful nostalgia watching this, but it didn't happen. I simply enjoyed the underdog story: A high school outcast who heroically scores a date with the most popular girl only to realize his true love is a fellow misfit. All three overcome the awkward social restraints of high school to embrace their desires and vulnerabilities.
It pleases me that the movie doesn't try to be funny. And I like how very 1980s the movie is. I don't care if younger people will never know how lovely the teen films of that decade were.
No comments:
Post a Comment