Saturday, July 16, 2016

The four seasons of Kunstler's World Made by Hand

I had the pleasure of reading The Harrows of Spring, James Howard Kunstler's final installment in his world made by hand series. The four books align with four seasons in a year in the life of the small Upstate New York farming village of Union Grove after the collapse of modern technoindustrial society.

The books are as follows:

Summer: World Made by Hand
Fall: The Witch of Hebron
Winter: A History of the Future
Spring: The Harrows of Spring

I think the collection would adapt well into a TV miniseries. The characters and storytelling are fairly solid, and four novels could fill a number of television hours. If done well (as much television is lately), I would love to see the preindustrial scenery visualized. With decent acting, it would be lovely to see some of Kunstler's peculiar actor's come to life on the screen.

I usually find myself trying to hold onto my own version of a novel's imagery against the threat of the actual visuals of a film adaption. Maybe I would only want to see my own version of World Made by Hand's imagery adapted to a miniseries.

No comments:

Post a Comment