I've never been into major league sports culture. It all looks like thuggery on the field and douchebaggery in the stands. It seems cruel when sports reporters put a microphone in front of a footballer so that he can stumble through an explanation of how his team won by scoring the most points. And I am so freaking tired of hearing sports fans say "we won" or "we lost", as though they are out there on the field playing.
But let me tell you what moves me. I watched some of the Boston marathon coverage today and I saw a man who lost his legs in the 2013 marathon bombing running the race with prosthetics. There are paraplegics who compete on the wheelchair race. Parents run pushing a disabled child.
These people are badass, but there is no thuggery there. They are peaceful warriors fighting to be their very best. The accept the reality of their limitations, but fight to excel anyway.
That inspires me.
No comments:
Post a Comment