Friday, December 26, 2014

Neil deGrasse Tyson's offensive Christmas tweets

Oh how I love Neil deGrasse Tyson. Check out his tweets mocking Christmas.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/neil-degrasse-tysons-christmas-morning-jokes-ignite-pious-furor-on-twitter/

One of them is poetic: "Merry Christmas to all. A Pagan holiday (BC) becomes a Religious holiday (AD). Which then becomes a Shopping holiday (USA)."

Christmas seems to be a mostly secular holiday. The Christmas trees, lights,, shopping, gifts, and food don't seem to have anything to do with Christ. I don't like Christmas. I'm not Christian, but I might respect it if it was stripped of its secular parts, leaving at least an attempt at a genuine and meaningful holiday.

What would Jesus think of Christmas? The commercialism might make him table-flipping mad. And I'm not so sure he would want to be worshiped--certainly not with trees and lights. Christians should think about this.

I posted earlier about how John Shelby Spong's idea of a secular Jesus moved me. So I carry myself through my days inspired by a powerful, but non-supernatural, idea of Jesus. And I can't find any way to connect that Jesus to Christmas.

I woke up happy on January 26. I feel like my holiday vacation has begun now that I got through Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment