Saturday, January 18, 2014

Hard work

 Dirk Hughes has a sad story.


The sad fucker completed law school in middle age while working full time, and suffers from an early onset heart condition because of stress. His house lost half its value in the market crash. With his heart condition and full-time job, he hasn't been able to pass the bar exam. I feel for the guy.

Like a lot of people, myself included, he fucked around for years as a young adult. He dropped out of college twice. He aspired and failed to become a successful writer. He eventually earned his college degree and became a teacher and then an administrator at one of those for-profit colleges.

I certainly believe in insane hard work to create the life you want. I had a lot of catching up to do after screwing around like this guy. But I was still in my 20s and my body and spirit could handle overnight shifts mixed with school. He pulled that kind of shit in middle age when he had a mortgage and a family.

Life is unfair. It is hard to finish college when you are young and immature, but it is harder when you have adult responsibilities. And pursuing a dream of fame when young can easily jeopardize your future livelihood.

I wish the best for Dirk Hughes. I hope that he can find some peace and comfort in his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment