Does spirituality require the existence of the supernatural? I've always thought it would be easier to feel spiritual if you believe in God, miracles, witchcraft, or psychics.
But if any of the above are real, would they be supernatural? Wouldn't they then be simply natural? They would be part of all that verifiably exists in the world. They would be within the boundaries of the actual world.
Could people draw a sense of spirituality from these things if any of them were real? Or if the existence of any of these things were certain, would many people still long for something more and believe in things beyond the boundaries of what is verifiably real?
I'm a skeptic who has not been convinced of the existence of the supernatural. So I believe there is a pretty clear boundary between the real and the unreal. Everything that actually exists is inside that boundary. I reject the supernatural. I don't believe in ghosts, god, miracles, witchcraft, or the like. Can I be spiritual with what remains?
The mere fact of existence--something rather than nothing exists--is profound and awe-inspiring. And reflecting on my own existence is enough to snap be out of the most tedious daily routine. Not only does the world exist, but I am able to observe and reflect on it. On top of that, I am not alone in my consciousness. All other human beings are conscious. New conscious people come into the world and others leave it. I came into the world and I will leave it. I have a body and I can't leave it. I feel pleasure and pain. When my body dies, I am gone. I interact with the world around me, both natural and manmade. I can feel great pleasure in the ocean or in great cities.
Is none of this enough? Is the world not enough?
No comments:
Post a Comment