The new year is more spiritually significant to me than Christmas is. The new year is something very real--our planet completes a full cycle around the sun, and the seasons are set to repeat. The exact date to mark a year completed is arbitrary, but once you start keeping track, at some point you have the start of a new year.
The story of the birth of Christ troubles me more than it inspires me to celebrate. I don't want to be a junior high school essayist here, so you can go elsewhere for intelligent thought regarding Christ worship.
I'm not sure that the new year is spiritual to me. I have the problem of being an atheist who doesn't believe in the supernatural but is spiritually curious. Yeah, the fact that there is something rather than nothing is as spiritual as any mystical assertion, and art and love move me deeply. But I'm not sure that I experience spirituality.
No comments:
Post a Comment